Belleau Wood Part 1

On June 1st, 1918, the third German drive overwhelmed the defences of Soissons and moved south to the Marne river. There the drive was stopped at Chateau-Thierry by elements of the US Army along with the French. Turning west the Germans headed towards Paris. One of the leading assault regiments, the 461st Imperial German Infantry, occupied Belleau Wood - a nearly impenetrable forest of dense underbrush, trees and boulders, about two kilometers long, and 65 kilometres from Paris.

Responding to the German attack the Marines advanced towards the wood on the Paris-Metz road, and took up positions facing the oncoming Germans around the village of Lucy-le-Bocage…

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 License.